Driving School Ireland
087 6688797 - 071 9162311
See Office Notice 4/2002
In the case of a 'pass' result:
- Generally, the applicant should be asked to sign the Certificate of Competency, and should then be informed that he/she has passed the test.
- The Tester should complete the Certificate and hand it with the Report Sheet to the applicant saying - "You must present this Certificate to your local licensing authority when applying for your full licence. The Certificate is valid for 2 years only, and that time limit cannot be extended. In other words if you do not exchange it for a 'full' licence within that time, you will have to undergo a further test. However, you may obtain your full licence immediately, if you wish. Do not mark or write anything on it."
See Verbal Feedback..
- Where a female applicant has been married since the test was applied for, the tester should ask her which name she wishes to appear on the Certificate of Competency. In a case where she opts for her new (married) name, an explanatory note should be put on the computer sheet and on the file.
- Where a foreign address appears on the computer sheet, the tester should use the address that appears on the Provisional Licence, or any alternative Irish address as advised by the applicant.
In the case of a 'fail' result the Tester should:
- Tell the applicant - "I am afraid / sorry that you have not been successful today/on this occasion. I will now give you a report on your test."
- Complete the Statement of Failure and hand it together with the Report Sheet to the applicant. Tell the applicant - "The faults which occurred during the test are marked on the Report Sheet, and you should pay particular attention to them when preparing for another test, without neglecting other areas of your driving. As you can see, on this occasion it is mainly items, e.g. 3, 10, and 11, on the aspect's which are marked."
The candidate should be advised that the marking system is explained on the back of the Report Sheet, and should be referred to the 'Rules of the Road', to the information leaflet 'Preparing for your Driving Test', and to the 'Statement of Failure', for further information. Where a candidate is unwilling to accept the result, the tester should say that he/she is not permitted to discuss the details of the test.
See Verbal Feedback..
The tester concludes by saying - "You may need this Certificate in order to renew your Provisional Licence. Thank you very much."
Testers should not make any comment which may be misconstrued as being facetious.
- Testers should continue the policy of recording any unusual incidents, events or comments etc. on the back of the Report Sheet, and also of giving a brief outline of the circumstances which gave rise to all grade 3 faults being recorded, and where on route they occurred. Testers should record the facts only. However, reports of more serious incidents, events or comments should be placed on the front of the file and sent direct to the H.E.O. The tester should then write "Sent Direct" opposite the applicants name on the computer sheet.