Driving School Ireland
087 6688797 - 071 9162311
As with all driving, a test applicant should demonstrate that they have the requisite knowledge, skills and appropriate behaviour to use the public roads in a safe and courteous manner by:
- Maintaining proper control over the vehicle at all times.
- Showing anticipation and awareness.
- Demonstrating care, consideration, concentration and courtesy.
- Taking proper precautions when moving off, stopping, overtaking, changing direction and meeting other traffic.
- Maintaining safe and reasonable progress when driving and when meeting and crossing the path of other vehicles.
In demonstrating the above skills a test applicant should use 'best practice' and ensure compliance with all relevant Regulations, as not doing so may indicate a driving fault which will be assessed by the tester, and which may be recorded on the Driving Test Report Sheet.
Testers will use guidance from their Supervisor, along with their training and experience to assist them in deciding firstly what importance to attach to an individual fault, and thereafter whether or not it should be recorded under one of the following headings:-
- Grade 1 fault:- Minor fault.
- Grade 2 fault:- More serious fault.
- Grade 3 fault:- Dangerous/Potentially Dangerous fault, or total disregard of traffic controls.
Of course, it may be that a tester will assess an individual fault to be of such a slight nature that a fault will not be recorded.
Failure of the test arises when an applicant incurs any of the following: -
- 1 or more grade 3 faults.
- 4 of the same grade 2 faults for a single aspect.
- 6 or more grade 2 faults under the same heading.
- 9 or more grade 2 faults overall.
Grade 1 faults do not affect the test result.
Where 3 or more questions are not answered, or are incorrectly answered, a grade 2 fault should be recorded.
Where a 'Checks' fault is incurred in relation to the Doors, Mirrors, Seat, Seatbelt, or Head-Restraint adjustment as per the preamble requirement, it should be recorded opposite Rules/Checks and is inclusive of any Oral Test faults.