Driving School Ireland
087 6688797 - 071 9162311
An applicant should reverse the vehicle in a competent manner, taking the best possible observations and allowing the right-of-way as required, or a fault may be recorded for 'Reverse' as appropriate. Having reversed around the corner, the applicant should continue reversing in a straight line for approximately 3 Car Lengths (for Cat B). All faults which occur during the reverse manoeuvre should be recorded opposite 'Reverse' on the Report Sheet.
All Category 'B' reverses, including vans, should be along the left-hand kerb.
On the larger Category B vehicles, the Tester should be outside the vehicle.
The manoeuvre should be completed before any fault is recorded; regardless of how many times a particular type of fault occurs on the reverse.
Examples of 'Reverse' faults include:
- Where an applicant obliges another road user to slow or stop, a fault may be recorded for 'Observation' or 'Right-of-Way', (not both). This includes any other occasion where an applicant needs to reverse.
- Where a manoeuvre is aborted by the applicant, e.g., for traffic reasons or vehicle off course, another attempt should be permitted. However, where the vehicle is seriously out of position and the applicant requests another attempt the applicant should be told that "it won't be necessary".
- Where a category 'B' applicant reverses along the right-hand kerb due to a misunderstanding a fault may not be recorded. A left-hand reverse should then be completed.
- Effective use of side mirror(s) is acceptable. However, where an applicant reverses using mirror(s) only, a fault may be recorded if e.g. effective use is not made of them, or if they are not angled correctly. The fault should be recorded opposite Observation' (Reverse).
- Where an applicant hits or mounts a kerb, or goes off course, or makes inadequate progress, or uses excessive speed, or does not make proper use of the controls during the reverse manoeuvre, a fault may be recorded opposite 'Competently'.
Where an applicant requests permission to clear the windows, it should be granted.
In addition to observing the applicant, the tester should also observe the road and traffic situation at appropriate points during the manoeuvre.
Use of video or audio devices whilst reversing is only acceptable, if used in addition to the required observation.